Ever wonder how to promote your book online? Whether or not you already have an author website, there are definitely right ways and there are wrong ways to feature (and hopefully sell) your book there. Here are some examples of the dos and don’ts.
How to Promote Your Book: The “Do’s”
- DO make sure your book is prominently featured on your homepage … “above the fold” as we call it.
- DO have a separate “book” page that people can land on if they are looking for more information.
- DO include your book cover and links to purchase it on every page of your site.
- DO create/highlight a book trailer … or even a video of you talking about the book.
- DO have a book teaser on your homepage, and a longer book summary available for readers on the book page.
- DO offer a free chapter and/or book excerpts that will allow people to get a sense of the tone.
- DO include reviews/testimonials about the book.
- DO add some “book extras” to your website, like a “behind the book” story or secrets about how certain characters got their names.
- DO make it super clear who your book speaks to and why that audience would want to read it.
- DO maintain a blog and/or a social media presence to continue tying your book into current news and events.
- DO optimize your site for the search engines so that people can easily find your book.
- DO include any honors your book may have won. Why not???
- DO make it clear all the ways your book may be available (hardcover, paperback, e-book, etc…)
- DO make it clear if you’re working on another book or if your book is part of a series … you want to build a legion of fans who follow your writing.
How to Promote Your Book: A Few “Dont’s”
- DON’T only feature your book on your homepage. It deserves a page of its own!
- DON’T expect people to buy a book when the description of it is only a paragraph or two long.
- DON’T make it hard for people to buy the book. Make the buy buttons prominent and clear.
- DON’T make your book excerpt so cool or flashy that it’s not readable on all devices. A PDF is fine!
- DON’T use a low-quality photo for your book cover. You want this to be large and attention grabbing!
Do you have any additional dos or don’ts you’d want to add to this list? Anything on other author sites that impressed you (or did the opposite)? Share them with us!